Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chimera

This is what Webster's defined as a chimera: an individual, organ, or part consisting of tissues of diverse genetic constitution. I wiki'd "chimera" first, but the definition was a little too "sciency" for the purpose of this post. Basically...my point here is that I recently discovered that my hair is in fact an example of a chimera. I recently got my hair trimmed (when I say recently, it usually means a range from 1-3 months) and the hair lady (yes, I cheated on my hair guy Kevin, but I was in Vegas in desperate need of major conditioning and apparently a trim as well) pointed out that I had two different kinds of hairs on my head. Weird!!

I, of course, knew this but it's a fact that I like to keep under wraps or on the low or on the low down dirty shame or in the hush hush...get the picture? Technically, my hair is curly...super curly in fact. But for some odd reason, the hair just above the nape of my neck is STRAIGHT. And it's not just a few random strands here and there. It's a whole spicy bunch of hair that is straight. When I flat iron my hair, there is no problemo. But what girl has the time to straight iron their hair everyday...especially when that girl has super thick samoan hair that even if you shaved half of it off to donate to Locks of Love, there's still enough left to hide the shaved parts.

The problem here happens when I maintain my "curly look", which basically entails me getting out of the shower, forcefully raking a comb through my hair and adding magical protein goop so that it doesn't look like Medusa's hair. An hour later when my hair is nice and dried, the straight hairs all come out and my head of hair proceed to look like two different people own my head...one takes the top of my head, the other takes the bottom.

It's soooo weird!!!!

No comments: