Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Barefoot heaven



So my trip to the islands of Samoa is winding down. I'm actually trying to leave early...not because I'm sick of Paradise already but because I would like to spend some time with the family before second year starts. I just have to say that my summer is flying by so fast. I didn't realize that it's already the second week of July and I might be on a flight out of here by next week. Sad! It has been 7 years since I've been home sweet home. I realized just how much I missed Samoa when I went on a little vacation trip to an island called Upolu. Although I was born and raised on the island of Tutuila, I spent a lot of time growing up in Upolu, the island where my mom and grandfather is originally from. We just took a quick 5 day trip to visit with old friends and cousins, but I was in barefoot heaven while I was there. Although the island is progressing well into the future of tourism, many things remain the same: the sights in the back villages, certain smells, and the feeling of finally coming home. A strange feeling that I cannot quite describe overwhelmed me..as if I was waiting to exhale out a huge sigh of relief. I was home and I made a silent promise to myself to not stay away too long.

I might be leaving in the next couple weeks and it's just sad that my "last summer of freedom" is coming to a close. My trip to come down here was a good decision, though. I am learning a lot at the hospital following the Chief of OB/GYN and also learned some painful mistakes with my summer project. So although my summer involved some considerable damage to my liver and an abundant amount of time hanging out with my cousins and old friends, at least there has been some learning:)

No comments: