Thursday, February 5, 2009

Induced labor

Today I saw seven patients with my preceptor, which is the most I have ever seen on a given afternoon in her office. Usually there are two other students besides myself and today there was only one, so maybe that's why I was able to see more patients.

There was nothing too out of the ordinary with today's patients. There was one lady who had an aweful year with both her grandmother and mother passing away within a month of each other. That's so aweful. She also was on a job placement abroad with her spouse when the hotel they were staying at was bombed by terrorists. Yikes! That's a story you don't hear everyday. I always feel awkward in these kinds of situations, because I never know what to say. Death in the family is one thing and I can empathize with that, but a near death experience from a bomb!?! Hmmm.... "that must have been so frightening!" I think my eye balls nearly popping out of its sockets was enough concern for my patient's taste.

On a side note, another patient wanted to be induced into labor on Friday the 13th. Now that's a first. Usually people attempt to stay hidden under something sturdy in fear of something terrible happening to them on Friday the 13th. I know I tread through my day a little more carefully on 04/20 because I went to a high school that constantly had bomb threats on that day to celebrate the Columbine shootings. So this patient has an interesting outlook on life requesting this date. But maybe she wants her baby born on Valentine's Day...who knows. However, she was told by my preceptor that if she was induced on Friday, she will likely have her baby that day. I'm secretly rooting for her to have her baby on Saturday, though...just to be on the safe side.

No comments: