Saturday, October 16, 2010

This just caught my eye

A quote I just read:
To most physicians, my illness is a routine incident in their rounds, while for me it’s the crisis of my life. I would feel better if I had a doctor who at least perceived this incongruity.

This statement is sadly true for some (hopefully not too many) patients. Coming from the medical side, I have seen this in action unfortunately. It's sad but I cannot answer to why it happens because I really don't know why some physicians do not have insight into how they act around their patients.

2 comments:

J said...

Hi, this is my first time reading your blog and you bring up a great point. I'm 2 months into my third year and noticed this, do you think it could be desensitization? And if it's all the years and thousands of patients we'll see that does this, what would you do so it doesn't happen to you too?

AnnaBaDoc said...

Fortunately, I've also seen doctors who are fantastic with their patients. At this point in our training, I don't think there's any excuse since we are so new to the field but yes, I would have to agree with you on the fact that maybe some physicians get burned out from years of patients. I think it helps us all to make the best effort in getting to know our patients, not just about their diseases but about their personal lives. It helps us make important connections so we don't forget that our patients are first people. Thanks for your comment!