Thursday, August 9, 2007

Packing all the small stuff

Do you ever notice that when packing, the small stuff is always the hardest to put away? It's also the hardest to throw away. Little things like hair ties, earrings, that bandaid container you got in a goodie back from some conference, and duplicate pictures. You don't really think about these things but yet they are there to haunt you at the very end when you think you are done packing but have come to find out that a whole set of drawers were waiting patiently for you to go through. It's the worst! Now you are scrambling around looking for another empty box to label and ship with these little "trinkets" that you just cannot let go and have a slight feeling in the pit of your stomach that you may be able to use in your new place (i.e. the bandaids).

I am reasoning this out on a blog because I just cannot find the courage to trash any of my old things although I know I won't be able to take them with me in the end. It's not like I need to package all these things anyway! My parents' home could still be a home to my things. I'm only moving to the complete opposite side of this country!

I have 3 days left in Vegas and I am having withdrawals already. It's not like I am moving to podunk middle of nowhere that may or may not have a 24 hour convenience store. DC is somewhat similar to Vegas in the respect that I can find restaurants that can satisfy the different taste buds of my palate. Of course, I won't be able to party like a rockstar until six in the morning and then hit up my favorite joints for a greasy burger and fries. Yeah, sure is a healthy lifestyle I'm leaving behind!

But, all of a sudden I'm feeling slightly nostalgic at the thought of leaving behind this crazy 24 hour city. Why?? Yes, my family lives here and I will definitely be coming back for the holidays to visit them and I have always wanted to leave Vegas for something better. Montana was a great change for undergrad. Four seasons. Nice people. Beautiful mountains. Let us not forget about the blizzards. Oh...the memories. Maybe I have the travel bug still in my blood. I am just not capable yet to settle down in one place for too long or I get antsy. Now that I have longed and wished to leave this place and skedaddle, I'm stuck feeling like this...like I'm about to become homesick. What a confused child!!

I should be ecstatic! I got into medical school for crying out loud. All those science classes. Let's not forget about the "hatred" years of physics and O Chem. Then came the MCAT. Unfortunately, the MCAT came back again for a rerun. The application cycle was definitely a torture. It really is a huge psychological test to see who can withstand the most rejections. After all this, medical school admission is a dream finally fulfilled. And I am ecstatic. It is bittersweet in the sense that I am moving so far away from my family. My parents and my sister Deidre are my world. But then again, I am reminded of the many things that DO NOT come without sacrifice. This would be one of them.

But really, nothing can describe how excited I am about finally starting my journey in medicine. This is a great opportunity to begin a blog of a career that never ends in the journey of learning. Appropriately, the title of my blog states this. My intention for creating this is to write about my experiences, which is pretty much guaranteed to be mostly comedic on my part, and to share for those who, like myself, love to procrastinate on everything else in life. Good luck to the both us: reader and blogger. Shall we begin?

No comments: