Saturday, February 9, 2008

A new hobby

Earlier this week, a classmate invited me to play squash with him. I, being up for anything other than mindlessly pumping on the elliptical, was ecstatic to learn a new sport and getting some cardio in at the same time. This was a Tuesday after I endured an hour and a half of Extreme Training class on Monday night. Let me paint a picture for you: It's Satuday and I'm still sore from Monday. Needless to say, on Tuesday I was barely surviving walking up a flight of stairs. But, I wanted to play squash anyways. This turned out bad because I didn't know the court rules and didn't have the proper shoes on. Supposedly, Nike Shox aren't allowed on the squash courts because they're dark soled shoes. Boo.

So Friday came along where we had a grueling 3 hour immunology exam. After, we decided to pick up some games of squash. There was me and three other guys from class. I was quickly taught the rules and then we were off. Two on one court against each other, and then the other two were on the court next door. Let me just provide you with some background. I played tennis for almost 15 years. And if anyone reading this knows what tennis is all about, it's all about memory muscles. After playing the sport for that long, you just know how to do certain things like strokes, swings, volleys, and footwork like the back of your hand. It's almost like riding a bike, where you do everything really thinking about it, but the only real thing that leaves your memory is the feel for the ball when you hit it and maybe your reflexes. I've been hit too many times by the tennis ball so reflexes are not a concern for me anymore. Just hit me already.

So anyways, we start playing and I'm getting my ass handed to me game after game. Mind you, hitting the ball isn't a problem...well...let's just say that I started hitting the ball with the strings after a long warmup. Disclaimer: the head size of a tennis racket is considerably larger than a squash racket. So I'm hitting the ball, but I'm just not getting the angles of the court! What's so frustrating is that you can hit every possibly wall in this little room just as long as the ball hits the front wall before it bounces on the floor. What kind of jacked up game is this?? And me being spacially retarded, I was getting killed by these guys! And I mean slaughtered. Zero points. Bagels. Donuts. Nada. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I ran into the wall! Yes. Your girl here collided into a non-moving wall like a train on tracks going full speed with nothing able to stop it. Good thing the wall was sturdy. If it was glass, we could have had some major problems there...like that one time back in tennis camp where I ran into a glass sliding door. Such bad memories resurfacing.

So, yeah. You could say I had a little adventure learning a new hobby. But, I must say that even though it's probably the most frustrating sport I have ever played, it's definitely a lot of fun and I'm already hooked. I need to go buy a racket of my own now.

No comments: