Thursday, October 9, 2008

Killing trees

Medical school is a tree killer...

...No, seriously. It totally is. I'm ashamed to say exactly how many trees I have killed last year during my first year of medical school, but I am pretty sure I can rival those tree hunters down in the Amazon basin. It is just astounding how much we have to print off for notes, extra notes, and even more notes to study! Thankfully, the med school gives us printed notes for most of our classes, but even with that, I find myself printing more and more. I am really glad that the first floor printing stations of our library took the liberty to automatically make all the print settings front and back to save on paper. At least my guilt is somewhat controlled because of this bold move. At first I was upset because now I wasn't getting the free blank space in the back of the printed notes to jot down my own notes...but I got over it quick realizing just how much paper I could go through.

So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and I ordered my first printer today. No more waiting in lines at the printer stations and spending $.07 a page. I will be printing from home and most likely in color! Moving up in the world...but sinking even deeper into my guilt as more trees are targeted under this plan. I must admit that I do a lot of work online but I prefer the old school method of pen and paper and highlighters. My roommate will attest to the fact that I will go through boxes and boxes of highlighters.

Paper and highlighters. Watch out.

No comments: