Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bird watching

Today I decided to start studying in what we med students at GW like to call the "suicidal carrels". Basically, these study carrels are just big enough to fit a desk and a chair...and possibly a human being if they have totally expired all forms of air out of their body. But these carrels are where I put most of my productive study hours and I'm really not ashamed to say it loud and proud that I enjoy my time being sardined into this small space. At least the carrels I choose to study are right next to a window that overlooks our front courtyard right next to the GW hospital.

Now maybe it's not such a good idea to have this expansive window which provides more than enough visual stimulus to procrastinate studying...which totally defeats the purpose of being cooped up in one of these darn things in the first place. But anyways, before I go off-topic again, I have to admit in writing on one of my favorite hobbies...people watching! Yes, i love it! People are so interesting to watch. I can't say that I dislike long lay-overs at airports because I really enjoy just observing people, their facial expressions, and how they interact with each other. And for the obvious reason, it is so much more fun to watch from a place where no one can really see you. I especially get a kick out of watching people in our courtyard duck from all the flying pigeons.

The med school has a huge pigeon problem! Today I was outside talking on the phone with my mother and this flock (i'm not sure what to call a group of pigeons) of them flew RIGHT AT ME! I had to duck. THEY did NOT swerve at all which is disturbing. I would have lost an eye and maybe my pony tail if I didn't have such stealthy reflexes. And I'm sure there was someone out there who saw all this go down and was bent over with laughter. Coming from first hand experience, I can tell you that there was no humor involved with ducking from these torpedo-ish birds, but seeing others go through the same thing cracks me up. I know it's mean. I can't help it. I'm sorry.

No comments: