Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Walking towards awakeness

I just noticed, as I was walking to school the other morning, that DC is a late riser. You would think with the atrocious number of lawyers and politicians in this city that morning traffic would be much heavier early in the morning as the hustle and bustle of a business day begins. Not really...

I was walking to school last Friday and since it was an exam day, I left for school around seven in the morning. I do not usually go to school this early as a typical day starts around 9 am. But as I was walking, I could not help but notice how empty the streets were without busy traffic and people. For a second, I thought that maybe there was a Daylight Savings time switch the night before and I just did not get the memo! Seriously...the streets were empty and it was a Friday morning...which in my opinion is busier than a Monday. There is nothing like getting to work on a Friday knowing that there is happy hour that evening and a weekend ahead with your name on it.

I could literally hear how quiet my neighborhood was on this walk to school that day! The silence was a little creepy and disconcerting, to tell you the truth. I mean, shouldn't people be up by this time trying to get to work by 8am? Are there people with jobs that start at 7? Well, I guess thos people would be late already and obviously wouldn't be on the street walking with me since it was past 7 at this point.

Well, it's not that I'm complaining about how quiet my walk was to school. Usually, my ipod volume has to be much louder than normal because trucks and cars passing by me on the street are annoyingly loud. But on Friday, it was a nice a calm walk to school without honking horns and the sound of trucks shifting gears. I could classify it as therapy considering I was able to calm myself down before I took my exam.

1 comment:

Nontraditional Doctor said...

I noticed this too! My fiance told me its because most of the people in DC are government employees and take Fridays off (my fiance does this too, I'm so jealous!). They have the luxury of working 10-12 hour days for 4 days of the week.