Saturday, February 9, 2008

Can I have my cake and eat it too?

Last night me, my roommate, and eight of our friends from med school went out for sushi at a place in Dupont called Sushi Taro. My roommate raves about this place constantly. The girl eats sushi like its a normal occurrence, so her word that this place is "amazing" is credible. So we went. The great thing about dinner was that we didn't have to wait for our table. Thumbs up! With a party of ten, you can imagine what type of time chaos this could have been considering it was peak dinner time on a Friday night in DC. But, my roommate being the clever girl that she is, also called ahead to give them a window of when we would arrive even though they don't take any reservations.

With that said, we were seated almost right away when we got to the restaurant. The place is cozy. And I mean slightly low celings, semi-claustrophobic atmoshphere that you get from Chinese restaurants when they fill and occupy every possible space they can. I am surprised that these same "filled beyond capacity" restaurants don't get a fire hazard violation for exceeding the number of people that can fill the restaurant at any given time. Coming back to the point of my blog, the restaurant was cozy and inviting and I was excited about eating sushi...well eating anything for that matter. I really didn't eat anything all day and when I found out dinner was at 9pm, I started gnawing at my fingers thinking it was food. Long story short, I ate a snack to curb my hunger until sushi and when we finally got seated, I was beyond excited for din din.

After ordering, me and two classmates, Catherine and Roshni, got into a discussion about the service industry in DC. This was right after our waitress came by our table because we had asked for more plates. (There weren't enough on the table for all ten of us). She then proceeded to argue that she brought out enough plates for us all and actually counted the number of plates we had! I'm sorry...but if a customer asks for another plate, shouldn't you just get another plate for them? I'm not trying to be a brat here, but come on! What are you going to do eventually? Say "no, you have enough plates". This makes me laugh actually. Hahaha.

But, that's the thing about service in DC. It totally sucks donkey balls! I'm so serious! Coming from Vegas, which is a total service indutry city, I guess I'm spoiled to what you need to get in terms of service. And this is because you need to work hard for those tips! Don't just expect it without providing good service. No! No! No! I'm not even hard to please when it comes to good customer service. I can make your food at home and it probably would be cheaper. But I decided to come to your restaurant and buy an overpriced cheeseburger and iced tea because I want to have food prepared for me instead. But, a good attitude may be too much to ask for in this city.

Take for example, the safeway next to my house. If I had a choice, I would never step foot in that grocery store EVER! The cashiers are rudest people I have ever come across. They don't acknowledge you are even there. The girl who usually stands on checkout aisle two is texting on her cellphone while scanning the grocery items. She should get promoted with her obvious multi-tasking skills, seriously. And then, the cashiers are yelling at the stockboy who is at the back of the grocery store. Most of the sound has probably failed reaching him considering that they're yelling right into my ears. I hate it there, but what can you do when the next grocery store is another ten blocks away? Suffer.

I really don't think I've had good service anywhere in DC. Everyone seems to have something shoved way too high up their ass so I'm not surprised to not get good customer service. I shouldn't say that though. Maybe it's because people here don't care to what type of service they get. They put up with it because they don't care either way. As long as they get their cup of coffee or cheeseburger eventually, they just don't care how it's prepared and presented. This is sad because preparation and presentation are key elements with food. You want that cake beautiful and you want to feel good about eating it too.

No comments: